erasmus policy statement 2014-2020
bi norwegian business schools has a unique position in the norwegian he scene. bi is an independent private business school in a country that is dominated by state financed hei’s. nevertheless, bi is one of the largest hei’s in norway.
bi is the only hei in norway that offers full programmes taught in english at first, second and third cycle level. internationalization has always been at the core of bi’s strategy and is one of the spearheads of bi norwegian business school’s strategy. bi aims to further build the school’s international profile by:
- further increasing the number of courses taught in english at undergraduate level. currently, two out of 14 bachelor programmes are fully taught in english. bi will steadily increase the number of undergraduate courses and eventually the number of programmes taught in english. at the postgraduate and doctoral level all courses are taught in english already.
- further increasing the number of international degree-seeking students, faculty and staff. bi will increase its marketing and recruitment efforts on the international student market and make more scholarships available to excellent international students. bi’s hr department will put in place measures to make bi a more attractive workplace for international faculty and staff.
- increasing exchange activities. currently bi has student exchange agreements with more than 170 institutions and bi exchanges approx. 450 students every year. bi is committed to a gradual increase of the number of exchange students in and out, not only by increasing the number of exchange partners but also by making a more effective use of the present portfolio of exchange schools through exploring other models than (semester) exchange (e.g. ‘study abroad’ and summer programmes).
- offering internationally oriented programmes in norway and abroad. currently, bi offers programmes in norway that have a (mandatory) study abroad component both at the pre-experience and the post-experience level. examples are: bachelor of international marketing with a mandatory year abroad in 7 different countries; executive mba with international modules in three different counties.
- offering a limited number of high quality double degree programmes, bilaterally or in consortium, at the post graduate level with top institutions (i.e. internationally accredited and ranked). currently bi has 6 bilateral double degree programmes, predominantly with european institutions. bi recently joined a new international master network consortium qtem (quantitative techniques for economics and management) that offers students a study experience in three different countries and an internship.
when considering new (exchange) partners, bi primarily looks for schools that offer research based education and are internationally accredited through aacsb and/or equis in north america, europe asia and australia.
the primary target group for bi’s exchange programmes are full-time students in first and second cycle programmes. these programmes share a general skill area called ‘diverse and multicultural work environments (able to work effectively in diverse work environments).
the main objective of bi’s exchange programmes is to contribute to the attainment of this skill area through the students’ participation in cross-cultural learning arena’s both at bi’s campus and at bi’s partner institutions.